Our Commitment To Make a Difference
Wanderlust Adventures is committed to maintaining total integrity in the business, abiding by our core values and ensuring that we’re fulfilling our existence. This means we run our Tanzania trips in a responsible manner in every possible way, building in the principles and internationally accepted sustainable practices and provide our travelers with programs that combine true life experiences.
When you travel with us you become an integral force for change and a good part of your tourism dollars help transform the local people and improve livelihoods. Your presence is a powerful incentive for communities to empower, persevere and thrive. Our commitment is to ensure what we earn are distributed in a way that is beneficial to everyone – our customers, ourselves, our employees, local hosts and their communities, service providers and other stakeholders. Thus, achieving social and economic growth for everyone involved in the process. Here are some of the steps we take to achieve a sizable part of these goals:
- Employ local guides and staff, therefore contributing directly to local employment and ensuring competitive local remuneration.
- Using locally owned ground transportation and accommodation.
- Buying local produce, food and drink and recommending our clients to eat in our mountain camps and lodges.
- Investing our time and money in projects which support the local economy through temporary and permanent employment, as well as contributing to the local infrastructure.
- Purchasing souvenirs directly from local artisans
- Careful management of energy and water resources in climbing itineraries and the safaris we run
- Offering real life experiences which promote cross-cultural understanding
- Avoiding the exploitation of the vulnerable section of our world – including women,children, animals and endangered species and the natural habitat
Using our extensive experience in Tanzania, we have identified projects where, as an adventure outfitter, we are in an ideal position to actively help. These projects are chosen carefully, with input from the local partners and past travellers. We do not work with large charities and create mega fundraisers. Instead, our itineraries include site visits that feature specific projects we support. This enables our clients to see what really works and how these projects are funded efficiently. Wanderlust’s local partners ensure that all contributions get delivered to the projects on the ground.
We encourage you to learn about some of the NGO’s and community partners we actively support in Tanzania.
When hospitals and police call for help with abandoned babies who have been left on the roadside, porches, in yards, alone in houses and even in latrines, Neema House comes to their rescue.
Arusha Children’s Trust is an educational charity run by Ishbel Brydon, who has been living in Tanzania for more than 20 years. ACT facilitates the development of tribal communities around Arusha, Tanzania.
Wanderlust’s Canadian partner, Mom2Mom Africa is a non-profit charity that raises awareness about the challenges that young women face in Tanzania to receiving a quality education.